Wednesday, January 17, 2018

I watched Super 8, which is about a group of friends who are filming a low-budget zombie movie for a film competition. While they are filming, they witness a train derailment caused by a truck driving onto the tracks. The camera is still running after the wreck has happened and catches a strange sight. The kids walk through the wreckage and then find that the driver of the truck is still alive. He warns them to never speak of what they saw. Soldiers fill their city and strange things start to happen. A few of the kids watch the footage from the video and see that there is a alien around. Soldiers begin an evacuation. One of the kids is taken by the alien. The dads decide to work together to save their kids. The aliens depart on a spaceship from the town. Joe and Alice end holding hands.
         Kids making risky choices, without thinking, is just one stereotype presented. The kids are thoughtless through the whole movie which is typical for the movies, and for middle schoolers. I believe all of the kids in the movie show this characteristic. This is shown through their fearlessness as they explore the wreckage or approach soldiers and film in places where they shouldn't be. The middle schoolers also show their hormones and their newfound interest in people of the opposite gender in the blooming relationship between Joe and Alice. They were also tough and independent which goes hand in hand with the thoughtlessness of the kids. When the students witness the train crash, they stick around and they stay silent, not telling the police or their parents. This is an exaggeration because most middles schoolers would not be able to keep a secret like that. Middle schoolers trust their parents to protect them, even if they don’t want that protection. Middle schoolers still believe in the power of their parents, even if they want to be independent. This goes along with the fearlessness. Most middle schoolers would be running and worried about what might happen to them. They would put on a brave face to try and prove that they are "grown up" and "tough" but most middle schoolers would still leave. The kids in the movie are also too well spoken to be your typical middle schoolers. In the hormones sense, the relationship between Joe and Alice is realistic but when it comes to their level of communication, they speak too well. They are not awkward enough in my opinion.

I think I was most similar to Joe. I was pretty flexible and easy going like Joe but because of this, I let people kind of push me around which is what Joe does. When his friends ask him if they can blow up his model train, he says yes. I would have been very similar, and it has taken years, and friends like Alice to help me stand up for myself and allow myself to care for my own feelings. I thought I was just being a good friend. And I was, so was Joe, but sometimes we have to take care of ourselves and not only everyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment