Wednesday, January 17, 2018

13 Going on 30 and Me

I was hesitant to watch this movie because I felt like it would be a repeat storyline similar to 17 Again, and even though it may have a few similarities, 13 Going on 30 is not a repeat.
13 Going on 30 is a typical story about a younger person becoming older by a wish that they made. Jenna Rink is in middle school and is in the typical nerdy girl who dreams of being accepted by the "popular kids". After a prank gets pulled on her she wishes she was, "30, Flirty, and Thriving" like she saw in a magazine. Before she can finish crying, she transforms and is transported to the future where she is 30. She finds out that the life she had always dreamed of, was not what she wanted. It is filled with jealousy, back stabbing, and dead friendships. She then takes on the mission to fix her life as it is now in her 30's. In the end, she reverts back to her 13 year old self and decides to invest in what she has, and not what she thinks she wants.
This movie addresses many middle school stereotypes, as it does take place in a middle school setting in the beginning of the movie. The first stereotype that stuck out was the "nerdy, naïve girl". This was Jenna in the movie. She had the smarts and abilities to complete hers and other's projects (The Six Chicks). She also got taken in when it was obvious to the audience that the Six Chicks only wanted her to do her homework and not actually come to the party. Although it is true that middle schoolers in general are naïve, they are not naïve enough to do homework for other students. This has become even more true in the age of plagiarism awareness. She believed in them with a blind trust which is often considered to be naïve. The second stereotype represented was the mean girls clique. This is embodied in the group named the Six Chicks. They wear make-up, fashion forward clothing, and exude confidence. Girls and guys who are often thrown into this stereotype do care about how they look, but often hide their insecurities under their fake confidence. In addition, students who come from families who are well off, do wear name brands, but not always. In middle school, make-up is highly experimental and not many girls wear it every single day. The third  stereotype is of the music nerd guy. This would be Jenna's friend Matt in the movie. He loves music that is less than mainstream and he has different types of technology to play his music. Most of all, he has interesting dance moves. In reality, middle school students are trying to define mainstream. In some middle schools today Taylor Swift music is huge. In other schools, you are looked down upon for liking Taylor Swift. This makes stereotyping music as different an inconclusive judgement. Depending on the area the music can actually gain popularity in a year or two. Matt has a real interest in music, like many middle schoolers have. Real students in Middle school often have many different ways they prefer to listen to music through. As far as the dance moves, I think most middle school students are quite awkward in their dance moves. That is unless they have an awesome dance unit in P.E.
In this movie I am most like Jenna. I was naïve to a certain degree. I wanted to be popular. I dreamed of having the best clothes. I always longed for when I would be older and more mature. I had a crush on a boy that the whole school did. I was a goody two shoes. I was constantly seeking approval from peers. I longed to feel like I belong. At the end of my middle school career, I learned that it mattered most who I had around me instead of what. I learned that shallow friendships based on "favors" was not worth while. I learned that even though I was nerdy and my friends and I did not fit in, in the traditional sense and it did not matter. We had each other and that is what is most important. I still have three friends I connect with a couple times a year fro Middle School.


No comments:

Post a Comment